Develop a Winning Mentality with the
Mastering Business Development
Increase your success with these key business development skills:
Gain the thinking, behavior and techniques for proactive client engagement and revenue generation.
Master diagnostic interviewing skills to uncover the client’s core issues.
Leverage proven Principles of Behavioral Psychology to identify valid prospects and pipeline opportunities.
Employ the steps of the MBDi HUMINT® Customer Engagement Process to obtain the quality intelligence needed move opportunities through your pipeline.
The Customer Why
Develop a better understanding of the psychology of how and why customers “buy” when making sourcing decisions.
Learn to encourage customers to participant in your opportunity Identification and Qualification (OI&Q)i phase, rather than being drawn into their RFP process.
- Introduction to the 12 Core Competencies of Business Development
- How Leadership and Character Drive Business Development
- Why Business Development Professionals Struggle
- Understanding How Your Self-worth is Not Dependent on Your Roles
- The Difference Between Purpose and Goal in Business Development
- The 4 Cornerstones of Business Development
- Reasons Business Development Professionals Sometimes Fail
- Self Identity vs Role Identity Management Rules
- The Psychological Challenges in the Business Development Role
- Risking & Failing in Business Development
- The Importance of Personal Goal-setting & Planning
- Understanding Self-motivation
- Introduction to Transactional Analysis
- The Paren & Critical Parent Ego States
- The Nurturing Parent Ego State
- The Child Ego State
- The Adult Ego State
- The Psychology of How People Buy
- Demonstrating Pain as the First Cause
- The Buying Decision Formula
- The Psychological Pressure of Business Development Roles
- Why You Need a Business Development System or Process
- Internal vs. External Processes
- Difference Between Traditional Sales & Business Development
- Opportunity & Intel Funnel
- Proactive vs Reactive Business Development Opportunity Identification
- The Early Shaping (OI&Q)i Phase Benefits
- Why Disqualify Opportunities Early
- Introduction to the HUMINT Client Engagement process
- Phases of the HUMINT CEP
- Understanding Opportunity Analysis, Intel Gathering & Shaping
- The Difference Between Intel & Data
- Trust & Respect Script Development
- Negotiating Rules, Rights & Responsibilities
- Guidelines for Executing the Intel Gathering Call
- Intel Gathering Skills
- The Art of the Interview
- The Pain Interview
- Guidelines for Diagnostic Interview
- Closing Interview Calls
- Evaluating Performance
- Intel Validation
- Post call Planning
All delivered with live instruction in two formats:
4 - Day Virtual Instruction
2 Days per week for 2 weeks
2 or 3 - Day In-Person Training
Private Training Available for Corporate Teams
Successful corporate, or company, sales teams, are given the tools to succeed in building revenue growth and establishing customer intimacy. Our certified customer engagement training curriculum focuses on optimizing each team member’s individual thinking and behavior, based on their role and customer engagement focus. Depending on your organization’s customer engagement needs and your professional development requirements, your team can complete select business development classes or the entire series.
Reach out to us to schedule private instruction for your whole team.
What Makes Our Training Different?
For over 42 years, MBDi has helped government contracting (DOD) firms – including those in the national security, defense, scientific, energy and engineering industries – improve sales efficiency and effectiveness through our sales training workshops. By consistently tackling the complex revenue growth issues such as building customer intimacy, we have earned their respect as a trusted partner.
Sales Training Experts
Proven Training That Works
Over 90% of our business comes from repeat customers and customer referrals for good reason. Our sales training graduates consistently increase customer intimacy and improve win rates by becoming more efficient and effective at engaging customers in winning conversations. What we teach works. Just ask our past attendees.
What Our Students are Saying
“Mastering Business Development® has enlightened me to the conceptual as well as the mechanical aspects of BD, and also on the difference between BD and Sales. My objective for attending has been met and exceeded.”
Mike Hucks | Director, Non-intrusive Inspection | Smiths Detection
“In the increasingly competitive landscape we foresee, mastery of the art of business development is essential in achieving growth. The training we received from MBDi has been instrumental in shaping our business developers into a high-performing team to make that growth possible.”
Charles Rash | VP Operations | Potomac River Group, LLC
“MBDi training changed my entire approach to Business Development, and the results have been tangible and significant. I recommend it for everyone who wants to be successful in Business Development.”